Large dark green fish inscribed vase by C.H. Brannam, Barnstaple.
The vase was created in 1903 and features three twisted handles within its design.
The bottom of the vase is clearly incised with the name of the North Devon company and date.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details
UK Postage and Packaging £10.00
Charles Hubert Brannam, left school at age 12 to start work at the pottery. Charles won a prize for art at school and also won the Queen’s Prize for Drawing in 1870. Initially educated in the theory and practice of ceramics, he was encouraged by a local dignitary, William Frederick Rock, who invited him to London where he studied pottery in the various museums. In 1879 he persuaded his father to allow him to produce art ware. His father agreed on the proviso that Charles paid for the materials he used. Charles eventually took over the Litchdon Street pottery and further developed the art pottery department, utilising the “sgraffito” technique of scratching into a covering of “slip” to show the clay beneath. He recruited skilled designers, but also continued to throw the ware himself. In 1885 he received an order from Queen Victoria which resulted in excellent publicity for the business. In 1886 Charles registered the name Royal Barum Ware and ensured it was sold by several London firms including Liberty. Charles handed the business over to his sons, Charles William Brannam, and John Woolacott (Jack) Brannam, in 1913.